Laura McCarthy, founder of LBHT and LBHT+, holds a BS in Occupational Therapy, and Hand Therapy Certification. Since 1991 she has practiced as a Hand Therapist, working at University of Maryland Hospital and Maryland Shock Trauma, Mount Washington Pediatrics Hospital, John Swift Physical Therapy, and Mercy Medical Center before opening LBHT in 1994, followed by LBHT+ in 2016.
Laura has been a member of ASHT since 1991, and of AOTA since 1982, serving as a volunteer for the Practice Division of ASHT, 2012-2013, and for the Health Ministry of St. Francis of Assisi Church since 1998. Laura has been a caregiver for 45 years, continuing in that role, first for her mother and then her father, both dementia patients. Her caregiving experience and background are the cornerstone of her practice.
Laura also mentors Occupational Therapists with a desire to become a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT). To be a CHT, it takes 5 years of training followed by an exam. Not only are mentees trained in pathology of the hand, but also in the business of running a therapy practice. As a result of her training, graduates are then prepared to attain their certification as well as be qualified to manage a practice. Laura is married to husband, Robert, and they have two children: Hillary, who is a computer animator with The Mill, a visual effects company in Chicago, and Thomas, who is a web programmer at Tangocode, also in Chicago.
Laura’s Fun Facts:
1. Laura worked her way through college as an auto mechanic.
2. Laura’s older brother is a hand surgeon.
3. Laura started LB Hand Therapy in her home because it worked wit her kids’ schedules.
4. Laura has been caregiver for 45 years.
5. Laura wrote for the school newspaper in high school and really wanted to be a journalist.
6. Laura loves to travel.
7. Laura loves sappy romances and her family calls it her Hallmark addiction.